Very Last Minute Patchwork Christmas Stocking Quick Tutorial

I know I have a bad habit of doing things last minute. Given that a day has only 24 hours with my life surrounding three kids, my hands are always always full. If I can get a day to just sew, it makes me the happiest woman on that day.

The reason for this quick tutorial is because I just finished one stocking under an hour yesterday and it made me mighty proud of myself. So I wish to share this moment of satisfaction with you so you can be as happy as me.



Actually there is a half completed stocking waiting for me ever patiently every night for hand sewing. It's a really beautiful Bucilla Christmas stocking with a cute snowman. And I have another two more Bucilla stockings (one fairy and one Santa) for my other two kids. In mid November, I eagerly took out the packages and thought to myself "One stocking per week. Easy peasy!" Well, I was so wrong. Way too ambitious seriously! Obviously I did not complete anything and I have to think of an easy way out so the kids can stop asking "do we have Christmas stockings for Santa this year?"

I tried to buy one but it costs at least USD10 for a decent one. I am stubborn enough not to give in.




This Christmas stocking is jelly roll friendly (saves cutting time!) and minimal fabric wastage.

If you are still waiting around or hesitating to make one, try this. It's easy and very fast to sew. And it makes your kids happy I am very sure.

Trust me, this stocking really took one hour for me to make. That includes choosing and cutting of fabric. If you are beginner, maybe it will take you two?

Things you need:
- 8 x 2" width fabric strips cut lengthwise on each fat quarter (If you are using jelly roll, you may only need 6 strips cut half the length)
- 1 x fat eighth fabric for backing
- 1 x fat quarter fabric for inner lining
- batting (I used normal one but you can use fusible batting too)
- 1 x 10" ribbon for hanging


Download template here.


Step 1: Sew all the strips together. Print and cut template and place diagonally on the patchwork. Cut out the part near the heel leaving a 1" edging.



Step 2: Position the cut out patchwork to the toe area and sew the strips together.



Step 3: Reposition the template on the patchwork facing up. Place backing fabric right side down and fold batting into half. Cut around the template leaving 1" edging.



Step 4: Machine or handquilt both front and back of stocking separately on batting. If you are using fusible batting, remember to iron to fuse batting to wrong side of fabric.



Step 5: Fold the lining fabric into half. Place template again on the quilted pieces (front patchwork right side up, backing right side down) and lining fabric. You should have five layers (including template). Pin in place. Use a sharp scissors and cut all at once following the template shape.




Step 6: With front patchwork and backing right sides together, sew 1/4" all around excluding the top of stocking. Repeat with lining fabric but leave a 5" gap for turning out later.



Step 7: Turn the stocking inside out. It's time to sew on the ribbon. Fold ribbon into half and sew 1/8" at the side of the stocking.



Step 8: Place the stocking into the lining and sew around the top of stocking.



Step 9: Using the gap in the lining, pull the stocking out and adjust accordingly.

Step 10: Sew to close the gap in the lining.



Step 11: Push the lining fabric inside the stocking and top stitch around the top of stocking.


Enjoy!xx


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Anonymous said...

Love the pink colour. Over the years, I have made 7 stockings and every year I sew on an ornament or some small momento to each stocking- doing this since 1998