Key Ring Pouch Tutorial

I have forgotten when I started making key ring pouches. When I first saw a picture of it in a Japanese magazine, I scampered to search online for the circular key ring. It fascinated me because I wanted to try hand sewing something new. So I grabbed a recycled paper and drew my own template (I folded an A4 paper into quarters then drew a side of it then cut it out) with the image in my mind. And I just handsew for fun.


IMG_1058

Well, I really loved how every pouch turned out. They are really pretty and functional.

Thanks to many mails asking for a tutorial on this pouch. I have intended to write a tutorial on this a long while back but couldn't find any inspiration to pen it. Because I don't know how to use photoshop or any other program to draw the template. And I didn't have a printer that could scan. I felt so sorry. But a kind friend said recently that she will wait for me to write something about it and suddenly I was motivated. So that day I rummaged through my cupboard and found the crumpled template and started tracing on a fresh sheet of paper ready to be scanned with my new printer.

I hope the template is clear enough to be seen and understood.

It's not a difficult pouch to handsew. But if you are not keen to handsew, you can use the machine. Either way is ok. For this tutorial, I machine sew the first part of the binding.

EDIT: You can get the key ring here.

So here is the Download zakkaArt Key Ring Pouch. Download and print it at A4 printer settings.

IMG_1061



Cut out the template. If you are planning to reuse it a couple of times, it would be good to glue it on a cardboard like what I did.

*There are many ways to handsew this pouch. What i'm writing here is purely my own method. You are free to use whatever way that makes you feel comfortable.*

IMG_1023

**The most important thing to note when making this pouch is to learn to hide all the knots. To hide a knot, return the needle to the same hole where you just tie the knot. Then give it a little tug so the knot disappears under the fabric. Then snip the thread close to the fabric.**


IMG_1020

Find a fabric (I usually use cheater fabric because it saves time and effort) or a ready-completed patchwork.

If you are using ready-completed-patchwork, you should have done the quilting part with batting sandwiched between the patchwork and lining fabric. So just trace and cut out the shape.

IMG_1021

IMG_1024


If you are using cheater fabric, trace the template and cut out the shape. Then, place the fabric template on top of batting/fleece (I used a thin batting this time and not entirely pleased with it. I would suggest you use medium thickness) and a lining fabric as the bottom layer. Pin in place and either hand or machine quilt. Then do a little stitching close to the edges to better secure it. Trim the template shape.

OR

You can choose not to trace and cut out the fabric template first but to hand/machine quilt the three layers (fabric, batting, fabric) then cut out the shape. It's entirely your choice. Whichever way works just fine.


IMG_1026



Next, cut a 2" width bias binding. I prefer using bias binding because there are curves to deal with for the pouch. If it's for quilts, I always use straight binding. And I also always use single fold binding to save on the fabrics.


IMG_1027



IMG_1029


IMG_1031

IMG_1034

Hand or machine sew the binding, taking care of the points. I do a little folding of binding at the points to make sewing easier.


IMG_1032



This is how I sew the ends of the binding. It's the laziest way ever!


IMG_1036



IMG_1037

IMG_1039

Now fix the zipper. You can place the zipper anywhere along the pouch as you preferred. I like to sew it on the right because I'm right handed. First, fold the pouch into half and mark the centre. Then, position the zipper teeth along the edges of the pouch and pin in place, leaving a space wide enough for the key ring hoop to go through. For the zipper ends, just tilt a little downwards so they don't show when you stitch up the edges later.



IMG_1041



IMG_1040

IMG_1043

IMG_1044

Handsew the other side of zipper as well.

***There are two ways to incorporate the key ring hoop. The most direct way is to position it properly with wrong sides of the pouch facing, then handsew the edges of the binding. However, you will see the stitches on the outside edges of the pouch. I prefer to hide my stitches so I sew the binding edges from the inside. And I like to put my hoop first so I can sew very close to the hoop for a better finishing. You can leave a space (width of hoop) then position the hoop after sewing the the edges of binding. Below is my personal method for making this pouch.***


IMG_1046

IMG_1048


IMG_1045

IMG_1050

IMG_1052


When you are done with the zipper, turn the pouch inside out. Unhook the key ring and position it in place: the hook opening facing the front (right sides) of the pouch. Remember to keep the zipper unzipped. Use tiny stitches to sew together the edges of the pouch. Remember to keep the zipper unzipped.


IMG_1051



IMG_1054

IMG_1056

IMG_1053

Now all you need is to flip over the pouch!


IMG_1060



Ta-daa! A very useful pouch for your keys and zipper compartment for your coins or small things like lippy or sweets or cards (if it fits the zipper length).

Hope everyone enjoyed the tutorial!xxx

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

elsa said...

Darling pouch! Thanks so much for the tutorial!