Hexagon (cheater) placemat coaster tutorial

*This post is longer than previous ones with many pictures. Please take time to load. Thank you.*



Have you ever bought, on impulse, yards of cheater fabrics just because they look so pretty? Ok, I DO have this very serious problem.



That day I looked into my cupboard and was totally shocked to see the yards of these hexagon cheater fabrics I hoarded. I sort of regretted my lack of control because I don't really know what to do with them actually.



But I HAD to use the fabrics (to make room for new ones that are arriving). So, I made these.



IMG_9810



These are probably the easiest and fastest project I could think of. And most importantly, they make my table more beautiful.



IMG_9807



IMG_9814



Here are the back of the placemat coasters. They are pretty too. So that makes them reversible!



IMG_9822



IMG_9819



Making them gives me instant gratification of fast projects. Since they made me happy, I would like to do a quick tutorial on how to sew them to make you happy too.



++ Here I'm sharing a method I use for most of my round or odd shape pouch sewing. There is no need to leave a small opening at the edge for turning out because the shape might change if you do so. ++



IMG_9771



**my seam allowance is 1cm. You can choose 1/4 inch or whichever you feel comfortable. But make sure your seam allowance is the same throughout.**



IMG_9773



1. Pin in place in the following order: batting, backing fabric right side up, cheater fabric wrong side up.



IMG_9775



2. Sew along the seam allowance all around and snip the points (sorry you don't have to trim the backing fabric to match the shape of the cheater fabric. Just leave it because you have to cut later anyway).



IMG_9782



3. Turn over and make a cut at the centre, about 5-6cm (smaller than the width of your "attachment" later). The scissors must cut through both the batting and backing fabric. Make sure not to accidentally snip the cheater fabric. Turn inside out.



IMG_9799



4. Handsew both the batting and backing fabric to close the opening. Remember to hide the knots inside.



IMG_9804



5. Turn over and top stitch the edges. Sew around each hexagon too if you want to. Otherwise, other quilting designs work too. No hard rules. Then, position your "attachment" at the centre and handsew it down. "Attachment" here refers to appliques or tapes or anything you wish to cover the closed opening with. I used another hexagon from the cheater fabric in this case.



IMG_9825



That's it! You have completed the placemat coaster!



## The other placemat coaster with green backing fabric was done using the old method of opening-edge-turning. It works too for hexagons but may be tough for round or irregular shapes. ##



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!