Zakka Home Book Tour

Taking more than half a year break from sewing and social media was something I needed for the longest time. For the past months, I spent most of my time cooking, reading, learning new skills and being just there for my family and children. We travelled a fair bit and caught up with the joy of being together every single hour. It was a wonderful period of living the moment.


When Sedef sent me a mail for this book tour, I felt so ready to take the plunge and handsew again. It was the perfect timing to pick up my needles and enjoy the pleasure of every stitch and knot.


Zakka Home seems like it's written just for me. Every project is so beautiful and very zakka. The projects are useful and pretty. I love everything in the book and it was so hard to choose one to showcase. Sedef always make eye candy sewing stuff.



Because we were leaving for a quick trip to China, I finally decided to choose to make "Sashiko coasters" so I could bring the project along with me.

It was the best choice ever.





I have started sashiko sewing more than ten years back so it was like meeting an old friend again.





There are several rules for sashiko sewing but this time, I only followed one rule: no two stitches should touch. The rest of the stitching, I followed my heart.



Never did I know I would fall in love with hand sewing again with this project. So I am thankful. I sew each stitch with peace and calmness in my heart and mind.




I got to handsew under the autumn trees which was truly amazing.




Instead of using the real sashiko thread, I tried valdini thread and Lecien silver thread. Both look really fantastic with the monotone coloured fabrics (Robert Kaufman).



Before stitching close the openings after flipping over.




I added lace on the reverse sides so the coasters can be used either way.



This book is perfect for beginners and intermediates with clear simple straight-forard instructions. It is also great for advanced sewists who is looking for fast easy projects for your home or loved ones.




I am so grateful to handsew these sashiko coasters.

Here is the tour schedule for this book tour:

22 October - Sedef Imer - Down Grapevine Lane - @downgrapevinelane
23 October - Jemima Flendt - Tied With A Ribbon - @tiedwitharibbon
24 October - Minki Kim - Minki's Work Table - @zeriano
25 October - Jane Davidson - Quilt Jane - @quiltjane
26 October - Elizabeth Chappell - Quilters Candy Box - @quilterscandybox
27 October - Lauren Wright - Molly and Mama - @mollyandmama
28 October - Sarah Scott - Piccolo Studio - @piccolostudio_sarah
29 October - Alyce Blyth - Blossom Heart Quilts - @blossomheartquilts
30 October - Emily Dennis - Quilty Love - @emily_dennis_
31 October - Sharon Burgess - Lilabelle Lane Creations - @lilabellelane
1 November - Wynn Tan - Zakka Art - @zakkaArt 
2 November - Amanda Woodruff - A Crafty Fox - @a.crafty.fox
4 November - Samantha Dorn - Aqua Paisley Studio - @aqua_paisley
5 November - Love Patchwork & Quilting - @lovequiltingmag
6 November - Kate May - The Homemakery - @thehomemakery
7 November - Ayda Algin - Cafe Nohut - @cafenohut
8 November  - Faith Essenburg - Sarana Ave - @faithessenburg
9 November - Nadra Ridgeway - Ellis & Higgs - @ellisandhiggs
10 November - Fat Quarter Shop - @fatquartershop
11 November - Laura Cunningham - @laura_zuckerkuss
12 November - Bev McCullough - Flamingo Toes - @flamingotoes
13 November - Amy Smart - Diary of a Quilter - @diaryofaquilter
14 November - Riley Blake Designs - @rileyblakedesigns
15 November - Michelle Hickson - @coleandtaffy
16 November - Christopher Thompson - The Tattooed Quilter - @the_tattooed_quilter
17 November - Ange Hamilton - A Little Patchwork - @alittlepatchwork
18 November - Sarah Ashford - Sarah Ashford Studio - @sarahashfordstudio
19 November -  Sedef Imer - Down Grapevine Lane - @downgrapevinelane (ROUND UP)



Thank you Sedef and Tuva Publishing for including me in this book tour together with other awesome sewing friends.xx

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Kay said...

I love what you have done with these coasters, making them reversible is a brilliant idea. x

Clipping said...

I gotta bookmark this website it seems extremely helpful very useful. Thanks for sharing.