{Book Review} SEE KATE SEW: 24 Learn-to-Sew Projects You Can Make in an Hour (Fons and Porter)

If you have an hour to sew, what will you make? Coasters? Tissue Pouch? Simple skirt? An hour is usually too short to sew anything seriously. A patchwork block already takes me an hour to sew!


SEE KATE SEW: 24 Learn-to-Sew Projects You Can Make in an Hour looks like it's gonna prove us wrong. When Jodi (Content Editor) from Fons and Porter (F+W) asked if I would like to review this book, I was excited yet skeptical at the same time. I was eager to see the kind of one-hour sewing projects even a beginner can do.



So when the book arrived, it was quickly devoured at dinner time while the kids munched on their favourite mac and cheese. I was sitting at the table and couldn't wait to start sewing immediately. The sewing machine called for me and I began making one of the easiest projects, the coasters. True enough, two coasters were completed just within an hour.





No fuss patchwork with straight lined quilting.



Reversible too! They make fantastic housewarming gifts if you are rushing for time. You just need to choose pretty fabrics!




The step by step instructions in the book are written clearly enough to help me work fast. I love the beautiful pictures of the projects printed in vivid colours that make me want to sew more. And I did!





My next challenge was to make zipper pouches within an hour. For the first project, I managed to complete it within one and half hours. The edge serging was not what I do well in. It took me a while to figure it out on my sewing machine.




The way of fixing the zipper was another new technique I learnt from the book.





Machine embroidery is a really good way to add charm to a pouch. I randomly selected one and it looked way better than I expected.



Very spacious and useful for cosmetics or toiletries. I am using it as a travel pouch.




To practice better at serging the raw edges, I tried to make another pouch from the book. Well yes, another pouch. You know how much I love making pouches. This pouch took me exactly one hour! I am getting a hang of it!



I changed the zipper position to make the pouch look like a box for putting EPP pieces. I like it this way.


A little cute tag goes a long way for a simple pouch. And look at the pretty zipper (from daiso).




Zig zagged raw edgings that I'm still trying to get used to them. Not so bad after all.

If you are good at serging or zig zag stitches, this book is for you! Most projects in the book use raw edge serging. Saves plenty of time not making the bias binding.

For all the above projects, I used Lecien Memorie A Paris fabric collection. They are soft with really beautiful prints.

I strongly recommend this book SEE KATE SEW: 24 Learn-to-Sew Projects You Can Make in an Hour for last minute gifts or quick sewing projects that give instant gratification. You will also learn new skills like button holes, mitering corners and sewing zippers. Perfect for beginners and great for advanced sewists. Like what is written at Fons and Porter website: No more excuses; it's time to dive into sewing! 

Book is available for purchase here, herehere and here. Oh they have e-book as well!

Thank you Fons and Porter for the wonderful chance to review this amazing book!xx

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!