#handsewpatchwork Block 10: Spring Beauty

Have anyone tried hand sewing your zipper pouch? I certainly hope so! I can't wait to see everyone's pretty pouches!



This week's block has been kinda hard on me. I admit it requires a little more patience. From matching of fabrics to sewing the pieces together. Oh well, if you do follow my instagram, my initial fabric combination was disastrous. I had to unpick and pull out my box to choose the fabrics all over again. Then when the block was completed, I did not quite like it. Maybe a little too red or too many confusing prints together?





IMG_0956



Anyway, I'll still use it for this tutorial post. And of course, I'll make a new one to make up for this!



The sewing of this block is quite straightforward. Dealing with curves that's all. And most importantly, to pin from centre then outwards to match the points accurately.



---------------



Before we start, I would like to answer one of the doubts about cutting templates of curves or repeating pieces. The question is: how to ensure that seam allowance is consistent throughout?



I'm not sure if I shared this method before in my previous blog but this is how I cut my templates when there are curves or when the same template needs to be reused again many times (for instance, making quilts).



Here's how I do it:



IMG_0904



IMG_0905



IMG_0907



IMG_0915



Penknife is my best buddy for this method definitely. First, glue the paper template on a cardboard. Use a ruler to draw your desired seam allowance (I always use 1cm) around the template. Then cut away the centre paper template part using a sharp penknife, leaving the seam allowance intact. Finally use a scissors to cut out the cardboard template.





IMG_0912



And here is how I cut blunt the sharp points by placing the 1cm mark on the ruler at the pointy edge.





IMG_0917



See, in this way, there's not a need to keep redrawing the seam allowance on the fabric each and every time! >.<



I hope my explanation for this question is clear enough to understand. Feel free to drop me a mail if you still have any other enquires!



----------------



Okay now let's start with sewing this week's block spring beauty.



*Note: If you are joining us to sew for the first time, welcome! Please refer to the basics of hand sewing in previous posts because I will not be explaining again from now and subsequent posts.



Download Template 10 Spring Beauty.



Cut out your fabrics using the template method as explained above. Arrange them to your liking.





IMG_0921



IMG_0927



We shall sew from the centre of block. Pin number 1 (petal) to 3. If necessary, give a few snips on the seam allowance to make your pinning easier. Sew from end to point (pointed tip of petal). Fold seam towards petal (darker fabric). Do the same way for the other pieces.





IMG_0928



Sew the left sets together. Then the right sets.





IMG_0930



IMG_0933



IMG_0959



Then join the two above sets together. It's a little tricky here and it's hard for me to take pictures by myself to show how I did it. So i'm attaching a picture from the book for a clearer idea. It's very important to pin from the centre outwards to match the points. Sew from end-to-end.





IMG_0940



Now you have the centre part of block completed.





IMG_0950



Next is the outer part. Sew number 2 to 1 (petal) from end-to-point (pointed tip of petal) too. Do the same to the other side of petal. Fold seam towards petal. Repeat for the other three sets.





IMG_0954



IMG_0953



Lastly, join all the sets together by sewing from end-to-end. Sew the opposite sides first. Open up and fold seams outwards. Make sure the petal points are matched using pins and seams are sewn down too. Sew the last two opposite sides. Fold seams outwards.





IMG_0976



Iron down the seams. This is how the back should look like.





IMG_0972_Fotor



That's it! You have completed block 10 spring beauty! There are only a few steps to this block but many curved pieces to sew together!



^^For cross referencing if you have the book, this patchwork block is at page 91.~please subscribe to this blog if you are following this sew-a-long. I may not post new blocks on the same day every week.~



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!